Bike Ride From Hale...it's worth the read

Scott talked me into trying a new mtn. bike trail, a 13 mile loop going up North Canyon (in Bountiful)and back down a trail connecting to Mueller Park Canyon.We set off at 5:00pm, parked at the bottom of elephant Rock trail and proceeded on the streets(4.4 miles up hill) to the trail head of North Canyon. By the time we reached the entrance of the trail I had heat exhaustion and wanted to go back. Scott said, "okay I'll meet you at the car when I'm done." I called him a chump of a husband and continued on.
At a really steep part of the trail I noticed a man in the tall grass staring at me. He creeped me out with his shaggy long hair, weathered face and old coveralls. Scott didn't even see the scary man as he was so camouflaged in the trees. I was tired, hot, upset at Scott, and now scared too.

Further along our journey I ran over a huge paper wasps nest that was in the middle of the trial, unfortunately noticing it too late. Seconds later I heard Scott yelling, "Go Go Go," as a large swarm of wasps flooded from the nest. My adrenaline rushed as I pounded my way up hill and we luckily escaped with no stings.

I finally was enjoying the ride and pretty mountain scenery as we entered into a thick, overgrown, shrub oak forest. Visibility was low when suddenly I felt a presence in front of me... There standing ten feet away was a huge bull moose (complete with razor sharp hooves and a huge rack) in the middle of the trail- staring at us with it's wee beady eyes.
I froze unable to move or scream. Shortly after we heard a 2nd large animal crashing through the trees toward us. When we finally could see what was making the ruckus, a 2nd huge bull moose was merely 15 feet down the mtn from us.
After waiting 40 min for the 1st huge beast to get off the trail, I (rachel) bravely rode toward the monster ringing my bike bell yelling, "moose get out of the way," while Scott took pics. Unfortunately it was dark by the time we got past the moose. Scott tried to calm me down by saying, "there won't be any more animals, and it's fun to ride down the mtn in the dark," so much for that, shortly after we passed a 3rd moose.
At this point it was completely dark with no moon and 6 miles of treacherous trail to go. That's when I started crying. I don't know how we made it down the mtn alive, especially since we had no lights, but we finally arrived home at 9:30, two hours later then planned.

The next day Scott asked if I wanted to ride elephant rock at night by the light of head lamps.
I laughed.

Comments

Bryan and Allie said…
Oh my gosh Rach! As i kept reading on, it only got worse! I can't believe you started so late in the day too. I would've been SO scared riding down a dirt trail in the dark. Thank heavens both of you were safe. And why in the heck would a scary man be ducked down in the grass staring at you! CREEPY! Looks like you have been having tons of fun though! We still wanna go camping with you guys. It'd have to be soon though, since the weather is getting colder.
Sarah Flint said…
Oh my gosh!! Rach, I'm so sorry. I would have died. You are such a good sport. Was it a little bit fun? :) You two are crazy. Lets get together next week before scott starts work. You two interested in the Dew Tour? It's here next weekend and Danny wants to go. Let me know!
KO said…
You definitely married someone who will keep you on your toes. Cool videos of the moose!
beck said…
i'm lovin' how fun and adventurous you two are together!

Popular Posts