Friday Night Fury- could use some tips!
Almost nine on a Friday night and Scott is still at work. Let me back track a little so you can possibly understand me, well the part that isn't screaming hormones.
Most of the time, even during busy season I have been okay with Scott's working hours and really grateful he has a job. But this last month they have been on an understaffed job with new managers. So his work load is ridiculous, he is up well past midnight most nights then off to work early. I do feel bad for him, I know it's been a really tough job to get finished and auditing isn't his dream job by any means.
Over the last week my patience has deflated like a soggy balloon. I'll ask him, "When will you be home?" "An hour" three hours later he shows up exhausted, eats dinner, and is back to work. This is the kicker.
Saturdays; our day to be together, get things done, or go play. Last Saturday he helped the EQ move an old lady in the morning then went directly to help my sister move out of her home. We got home late and he had to work. I thought to myself it was a good cause to help my new single mother sister move out. So I looked forward to the following Saturday. The week rolled by and today Scott informs me that everyone is going to Brigham City tomorrow to help his grandparents move. I lost it. What?! They need you on top of all 30 grandsons, sons, son in laws, ward members etc.
What about me!!!!!
We need a plumber to fix our pipes and I'm not okay with Mr. Plumber here with just me home! What about those blinds you've been promising me you'd put up, and the shelves you're going to build for my clothes that have been on the floor since the move? There are those heavy boxes (I haven’t even brought up) that need to be moved downstairs. And the new locks, outside lights, paint touch up, and broken doorbell? (Breathe) But more then all of those fixes, what about me and us and our plans to just be together? Or possibly go to bed before 2:00am together? A movie sounds so good. Not to mention I would love to get a nursery picked out and put together before you go out of town in December and busy season starts on January 1...
I guess my golden question is- at what point do my needs and wants come first? Or is that just selfish? And my internal dialog doesn't help at all. That disturbing little cricket that says "it's his grandparents they are old." I yell back, "shut up Jiminy." He says, "Selfish Rach." (ouch that hurt) But is it selfish? What is the truth here and what is a healthy expectation? Is Scott unable to say no to a family member asking for help (besides me)? This feels more confusing then it should be.
It seems I can't figure it out on my own.


Comments
I don't think it's selfish to expect to be the priority in your spouses life.. I never have and I never will, it's the number one most important relationship on this earth and it can't be pushed aside all the time..
.. if it isn't obvious logan and i have had this talk MANY times. hahaha.