Dad,

I've done a lot of reflecting since you had a near death experience last Wednesday. I'm sorry you're in the hospital and I hope you recover fast. I'm glad I've always been daddy's girl and have so many great memories and feelings for you.

My earliest childhood memories are of you taking me on the front porch wrapped up in my "special blanky" (mom made when I was born) there, we'd pick out a star to wish on and sing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. As I got older I would look forward to your Tarzan Adventure Stories you'd tell us each night. Some of my favorites were of: the Alligator cave the pirates stored gold in, The Deadly Sabor Tooth Tiger, and anything including the Elephants. How did you think up all those clever stories? Could you write a book for your grandkids?

You taught me how to have the perfect jump shot, post up, fake out the defense on the perimeter, make a hook shot, and how to be a mean rebounder. You took me to the track before school to run in the snow "I needed to get my lungs trained for the cold", and you were always on the second turn cheering for me during the 800 meter. You knew how to make early morning fishing a "big deal" I'd wait all year for you to ask me to go fish the Weber with you. Thanks for teaching me how to set up my pole, cast, and no thanks for making me gut my own fish. Thanks for doing so many of my outlines in that ridiculously demanding AP European class, and for staying up with me through the night to finish my AP art projects for the semester deadlines...all three years of high school. I should've given you my art awards.

You were a great listener and always knew when something was up. I appreciate that you were intune and sensative. Thanks for being confident enough to cry when you felt passionate about something. Thank you for teaching me about the founding fathers and what it means to be a part of this great nation. Thanks for sitting down in the living room and asking me to play my violin for you. I loved it then, and still love it now. Thanks for teaching me to love the Book of Mormon (even though I hated early morning scripture study) and thank you for voicing my prayers for me on the nights I was too tired. Thanks for going to the temple regularly, I figured it must be something great if you wanted to be there so often. Most of all, thank you for making it easy for me to find the right guy to marry. While I was dating Scott I knew exactly what I wanted.

As I sift through all the exterior things and events that have pulled and tried our families relationships, it is comforting to me that I have always known your desires as a father, brother, politician, and friend. I do not have to weave through hidden agendas wondering what makes you tic. I love your sincerity and emotional honesty. I've always known that you love me. I am sorry things have been stressful lately and for this set back. You deserve a long fishing or hunting trip. Happy Fathers Day from BC Canada-

Rach

Comments

Popular Posts