Conference Weekend & Reminissing on the Past

Frist, my wound is healing and Scott has been a great fill in nurse! He's pro at repacking wounds!

Wow! Conference was so good! I can't describe how moving Elder Holland's talk was. Such a heart felt account of Christ's atonement, and so applicable with Easter around the corner. I loved it so much. If you haven't heard it, you can watch it on www.lds.org. To any Christian out there, I think it would be well worth your time, and the talk sticks to the New Testament. I also loved Elder Ucktdorf's talk (I probably slaughtered the spelling on his name).

At Easter time I am reminded of my great gradfather (Nephi Taylor) that I never met. My great grandma was a widow and tried for thirty years to work herself to death, unfortunately that just made her the healthiest 90 year old alive. When her time finally came to die, I went to see her. While I was sitting with her (about four years ago) I noticed a book by her bed, in it there was a talk that her husband had written for Easter Sunday. He was assigned to give the Easter Sunday sermon in church. On April 6th before he had a chance to give his talk, he had a sudden heart attack (he was only in his sixties). What his family found after he died unexpectedly was his talk. The talk is a beautiful testimony of Christ's atonement and ressurection. As I sat next to my great grandma dying, on morphine, and incoherent, I read his testimony to her and I knew he was present in the room, she unexpectedly focused her hazy eyes up to the top right corner of the room, sqoze my hand and brought it to her heart. I felt something so strong all I could do is weep. After my great aunt returned from lunch I told her what happened and she said that her father was surely there. Great Grandma died a couple hours after I left. I think it was a beautiful ending to a hard and lonely thirty years of being apart.

It has only been in the last few years that I realized how many losses my Taylor grandparents have experienced. Grandma Taylor lost her dad fairly young and her mom was murdered on a mission shortly after. My grandpa Taylor lost a sibling, and his dad of the heart attack. That would be so difficult to lose a spouse or family memeber! Recently my Grandpa Taylor told me a really tender account of being with his dad when he died of the heart attack. He shared his testimony of losing his father and the events that happened surrounding it. I really appreciated his openness and willingness to share. Anyways this is why I loved President's Monson's talk so much. In the last story he told in the Sunday morning session, he illustrated how hard loosing family is, but how you can make a testimony of the hard times. (I still wish just one of that lady's kids would've survived)

Scott and I went to the temple last night, it had been awhile since we'd been, and I was really surprised at what I felt just walking into the dressing rooms. I had felt a bit gloomy before going and being inside such a holy place left no room for gloom. The peace was remarkable. I am so happy that we have a holiday that is focused on Christ's atonement and resurrection. I am grateful that through him we can heal our hearts and rejuvenate our spirit! Happy Easter!

Sally came over yesterday (it's her spring break) to hang with me, we painted pots while watching Hook. It was really fun! Sally painted a desert scene, then bought a cactus to put in it and I haven't decided on a plant to put in mine. I already have five plants that I love. I had the realization last night that once we have kids I'll have to find foster parents for my plants. Kids seem to destroy things, so I figure they'll pull the leaves off and dig in the potting soil. At least that won't be for awhile.


Sally, you hottie-
Thanks for such a fun time, I'm so glad your my little sister!


This is my sweet magnet board frame that Scott helped me make!

Comments

Thurston Fam said…
I loved Elder Hollands talk too! wow, painting pots? crafty rach! i would never think to paint a pot. How are you? MIss you tons! Sally looks so grown up! I miss the temple; we don't have one here in PR. Go often; don't take it for granted.. when you don't have it like me you miss it tons.
Anonymous said…
Rach you never cease to amaze me and I have looked up to you for so dang long and still do!!! WOW! I still think we should've become friends WAY WAY WAY sooner!! ha ha! Love you girl! Let's get together ya ya ya! We'll have a greeeaaat tii-ime!
What a sweet blog post . . . I loved reading this, Rachel. Thanks for sharing the beautiful story of your Great Grandma. Love ya, Sandra
The Walkers said…
Thanks for sharing the story about your great-grandma. I thought Elder Holland's talk was incredibly moving as well. Thanks for letting me crash your Hook party.

Popular Posts